Listening to music is great on your iPhone, but it can get really expensive if you buy everything through iTunes. One of the many solutions to this is BearShare. This is a legal P2P MP3 downloading network that has thousands of songs just waiting to be downloaded. There is one problem that keeps some people from getting the songs on their iPhone. The iPhone only syncs with songs in iTunes. While some earlier versions of the iPhone can directly integrate with BearShare, you will commonly have to manually import the music into iTunes before you upload the MP3s to your iPhone.
Don’t worry. The whole process is very simple, and you can commonly get it done within a few seconds.
This method bypasses iTunes, and it works with some of the earlier iPhone versions. If this method doesn’t work for you, then there is no cause for alarm. The direct connection method is easier because you don’t have to manually import songs, and the MP3s will go directly from BearShare to your iPhone.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer and turn on BearShare. If the connection works, then you should see the name of your iPhone with a green light near it. If that doesn’t work, then turn BearShare off and disconnect your iPhone.
You should click the “Eject” button in the BearShare application before unplugging the iPhone. This ensures that your iPhone will not lose any data when you unplug it.
- Turn on BearShare and connect the iPhone to your computer after the program is loaded. If this doesn’t work, then you should uninstall BearShare. Reinstall it, and try connecting the iPhone before and after BearShare loads.
If the iPhone still does not connect with BearShare, then move on to the next method.
This is the method that most people with modern iPhones will have to use. It takes a little longer, and it can get a little irritating, but this method is easy and only takes a few seconds to do.
- Open up the BearShare folder. If you are using Windows XP, then you will find this in the “My Music” folder within “My Documents.” If you are using Windows Vista or 7, then you will find this folder within the “Music” folder. This can be found in the folder named after your computer.
- Open up the iTunes application. You do not need to have the iPhone connected right now unless you want to upload the songs after importing the BearShare MP3 files.You will see all your BearShare MP3 files within this folder. Highlight every file, or jus the ones you want to put on your iPhone, and drag them into the main portion of the iTunes window. You should see a plus sign icon. Let go of your mouse to initiate the transfer. The computer will start loading all of the BearShare MP3 files into your iTunes account. This process can take several seconds or hours, depending on how many files you are uploading. Just wait until the upload is finished.
- Plug the iPhone into the computer when you are ready to add the BearShare files into your iPhone. The computer will automatically sync the two, so all of the files you added will be placed into your iPhone.
The most annoying aspect of this method is that you need to constantly update your iTunes account whenever you download new files from BearShare. This is because the two applications do not work together. Whenever you download a new MP3, you should drag and drop it into iTunes to ensure it has all of your latest songs.
BearShare is a great program for downloading MP3s for free. While it can be a little annoying to manually upload the files into iTunes, the work needed is minimal. This should only take a few seconds to do before you can enjoy all the great songs you found on BearShare.
Tracy Keebler is an avid blogger of music and technology and writes for BearShare, the world’s best file sharing software. You can download free music with Bearshare.com, which has over 15 million songs and videos to download from, all legal and free.